Healthy Game Day Snacks
February 3, 2016
My wife, Stacey, and I make an effort to cook clean at home for our family. It’s important for us to share with others the benefits of nutrition. Here are some of our family’s favorites.
you enjoy these easy and healthy snacks with your family and friends on Super Bowl Sunday.
Mini Turkey Meatballs
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- l large egg
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs (optional)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground Turkey meat
tablespoons olive oil
- 26 ounces Simple Tomato Sauce, recipe follows:
Simple Tomato Sauce:
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 4 to 6 basil leaves
- 2 dried bay leaves
Add the onion, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, ketchup, parsley, Parmesan,
Pecorino, salt and pepper to a large bowl and blend. Mix in the turkey. Shape the turkey mixture into 1 1/4-inchdiameter meatballs. Place on a large plate or baking sheet. Heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and
sauté until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Tum off heat. Transfer the meatballs to a plate. Pour off any excess oil. Add the marinara sauce, about 3 cups. Return all the meatballs to the pan. Tum the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce
thickens slightly and the flavors blend, 15 to 20 minutes. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper. Transfer the meatball mixture to a serving bowl. Serve with toothpicks.
- 3 large lettuce leaves or butter lettuce
tom into strips
- 1 cucumber, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup cooked rice vermicelli or bean thread noodles 2 Thsp fresh cilantro
- 2 Thsp fresh
- 1 cup water
- May add chopped or ground chicken or shrimp.
- 6-8 spring roll wrappers
Combine all the ingredients except water, some cilantro and basil leaves, and spring roll wrappers in a large bowl and toss well.
Place water in a shallow pan. Dip spring roll wrappers in water until pliable, 1 at a time. Fill each wrapper with 2-3 Tbsp of filling. Place 2 or 3 basil and cilantro leaves on top and roll up.