There is no video clip yet
Stacy Wegner's Exclusive Interview with Betty Lamarr
Nutritional Wisdom from the Wegner's table
Healthy Game Day Snacks
My wife, Stacey, and I make an effort to cook clean at home for our family. It’s important for us to share with others the benefits of nutrition. Here are some of our family’s favorites.
I hope you enjoy these easy and healthy snacks with your family and friends on Super Bowl Sunday.
Mini Turkey Meatballs
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- l large egg
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs (optional)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground Turkey meat
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 26 ounces Simple Tomato Sauce, recipe follows:
Simple Tomato Sauce:
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 4 to 6 basil leaves
- 2 dried bay leaves
Add the onion, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, ketchup, parsley, Parmesan, Pecorino, salt and pepper to a large bowl and blend. Mix in the turkey. Shape the turkey mixture into 1 1/4-inchdiameter meatballs. Place on a large plate or baking sheet. Heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and sauté until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Tum off heat. Transfer the meatballs to a plate. Pour off any excess oil. Add the marinara sauce, about 3 cups. Return all the meatballs to the pan. Tum the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly and the flavors blend, 15 to 20 minutes. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper. Transfer the meatball mixture to a serving bowl. Serve with toothpicks.
- 3 large lettuce leaves or butter lettuce tom into strips
- 1 cucumber, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup cooked rice vermicelli or bean thread noodles 2 Thsp fresh cilantro
- 2 Thsp fresh basil
- 1 cup water
- May add chopped or ground chicken or shrimp.
- 6-8 spring roll wrappers
Combine all the ingredients except water, some cilantro and basil leaves, and spring roll wrappers in a large bowl and toss well. Place water in a shallow pan. Dip spring roll wrappers in water until pliable, 1 at a time. Fill each wrapper with 2-3 Tbsp of filling. Place 2 or 3 basil and cilantro leaves on top and roll up.