- Joining Betty live in the studio: Dr. Aidar Gosmanov from UT Medical Group has certifications in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism. Kristy Merritt, RN and Certified Diabetes Educator from Methodist Le Bonheur Germantown, and Amanda Carmichael, Outpatient Clinical Dietician from Methodist Healthcare. During the first segment, Dr. Gosmanov shares clinical information on diabetes. In the second segment, Kristy Merritt and Amanda Carmichael discuss Methodist Le Bonheur's new car window sticker *Diabetes Alert Program.
CDC 1994-2010 US OBESITY & DIABETES DISTRIBUTION MAPS
QUICK FACTS & NUMBERS FROM THE CDC, National Diabetes Fact Sheet, 2011:
- Among U.S. residents aged 65 years and older, 10.9 million, or 26.9%, had diabetes in 2010.
- About 215,000 people younger than 20 years had diabetes (type 1 or type 2) in the United States in 2010.
- About 1.9 million people aged 20 years or older were newly diagnosed with diabetes in 2010 in the United States.
- In 2005–2008, based on fasting glucose or hemoglobin A1c levels, 35% of U.S. adults aged 20 years or older had prediabetes (50% of adults aged 65 years or older). Applying this percentage to the entire U.S. population in 2010 yields an estimated 79 million American adults aged 20 years or older with prediabetes.
- Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure, nontraumatic lower-limb amputations, and new cases of blindness among adults in the United States.
- Diabetes is a major cause of heart disease and stroke.
- Diabetes is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States
Some Complications Include:
- Heart disease and stroke
- Blindness and eye problems
- Kidney disease
- Nervous system disease
- Dental disease
- Complications of pregnancy as well as other complications
- Dr. Aidar Gosmanov: http://www.utmedicalgroup.com/Doctors/index.php?staffID=381
- Methodist Le Bonheur *Diabetes Alert Program: http://www.methodisthealth.org/healthcare-services/diabetes-care/diabetes-alert-