Medical Talk News: HIV
HIV/Aides in the Mid-South
QUICK FACTS & NUMBERS FROM THE CDC:
African Americans, The Numbers:
New HIV Infections
- In 2009, black men accounted for 70% of the estimated new HIV infections among all blacks. The estimated rate of new HIV infection for black men was more than six and a half times as high as that of white men, and two and a half times as high as that of Latino men or black women.
- In 2009, black men who have sex with men (MSM)1 represented an estimated 73% of new infections among all black men, and 37% among all MSM. More new HIV infections occurred among young black MSM (aged 13–29) than any other age and racial group of MSM. In addition, new HIV infections among young black MSM increased by 48% from 2006–2009.
- In 2009, black women accounted for 30% of the estimated new HIV infections among all blacks. Most (85%) black women with HIV acquired HIV through heterosexual sex. The estimated rate of new HIV infections for black women was more than 15 times as high as the rate for white women, and more than three times as high as that of Latina women.
HIV among Youth, The Numbers:
New HIV Infections (Ages 13–29 Years)
- In 2009, young persons accounted for 39% of all new HIV infections in the US. For comparison's sake, persons aged 15–29 comprised 21% of the US population in 2010.
HIV in Correctional Settings:
Each year, an estimated 1 in 7 persons living with HIV pass through a correctional facility. Most of them acquired HIV in the community, not while they were incarcerated.
In 2007 (the most recent year for which this information is available), the rate of confirmed AIDS cases among state and federal prisoners was about 2.4 times the rate in the general US population.
2430 Poplar Avenue, Ste. 100, Memphis, TN 38112
892 South Cooper Street, Memphis, TN 38104
- Friends for Life: http://www.friendsforlifecorp.org/
Memphis Area Ryan White Planning Council
- Choices Memphis Center for Reproductive Health: www.mcrh-tn.org
1726 Poplar Avenue, Memphis, TN 38104