The link between Ovarian Cancer and Talc Powder
HPV linked to Cervical Cancer
Betty Lamarr Interviews Dr. Joseph Santoso, Memphis
Dr. Joseph Santoso
Congrats! Dr. Joseph Santoso
Dr. Joseph Santoso, Gynecologic Oncologist
Joseph Santoso, MD, FACOG
CANCER TYPECervical Cancer
Joseph T. Santoso, MD, FACOG, is a Gynecologic Oncologist at West Cancer Center.
Titles and Roles
- Gynecologic Oncologist, West Cancer Center
- Director and Professor, Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, the University of Tennessee Health Science Center
Areas of Expertise
- Gynecologic Oncology
Dr. Santoso is Board Certified in Gynecologic Oncology, Obstetrics and Gynecology. He performs radical cancer surgeries as well non-invasive surgeries (robotic and laparoscopic). He sees patients at West Cancer Center’s Humphreys and Midtown locations. In addition to treating patients at West Cancer Center, Dr. Santoso serves as Director and Professor of the Gynecologic Oncology Division at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Memphis. He helps train future physicians and has been awarded multiple awards for his excellence in teaching by his students, medical schools, and The Association of Professors of Gynecologists & Obstetrics. He seeks to instill a “burning passion to exceed expectations.” As part of their training, resident physicians and medical students work with Dr. Santoso in caring for patients.
Patients, nurses and students describe Dr. Santoso as being compassionate and kind-hearted. Dr. Santoso has been recognized by Memphis Magazine as one of the “Best Doctors in Memphis” because of his commitment to patient care. Dr. Santoso spends most of day either taking care of patients or working at home on research projects and reading inspiring books. Although he enjoys cooking and gardening, he claims that he is not very good at either but keeps trying to improve. At home, he is an amateur handyman, which explains why you may find him wandering around at a local Home Depot occasionally.
Education and Training
Dr. Joseph Santoso earned his Medical Degree from the University of California-Davis, after graduating Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Science degree in Biochemistry from San Francisco State University. He completed his Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program at the University of California-Davis in Sacramento, California, as well as a Fellowship in Surgical Critical Care. His interest in caring for patients with cancer led him to complete an additional Fellowship in Gynecologic Oncology Fellowship Program at the University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas.
- Memphis Top Docs, Memphis Magazine, 2011, 2014, 2015
- Roy M. Pitkin Award best paper published in the Obstetrics & Gynecology, 2014
- Outstanding Teacher, Board of Governors UT Alumni – Knoxville, 2013
- Outstanding Teacher, University of Tennessee School of Medicine, Memphis Alumni Association, 2013
- Golden Apple Award, “The best departmental faculty teaching award”, University of Tennessee, School of Medicine, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2013, 2015
- Outstanding Attending, “The highest faculty teaching award given by the graduating medical students”, University of Tennessee, School of Medicine, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015
- Arnold P. Gold Foundation Award 2009: Humanism in Medicine
- Excellent Teaching Award – The Association of Professors of Gynecologic Obstetrics, 1991 & 2003
- Top doctors, US News & World Report, 2011
Dr. Santoso has a long standing research career. Most recently, he was involved in research concerning:
- Computed tomography adnexal mass score to estimate risk for ovarian cancer
- The effect of ovarian imaging on the clinical interpretation of a multivariate index assay
- Risk factors for anal intraepithelial neoplasia in women with genital dysplasia.
Dr. Santoso has published many articles, most recently appearing in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as the Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
To view Dr. Santoso's most recent publications, click here.
The West Cancer Center, GYN Team
A Leader in Gynecologic Oncology | What is Gynecologic Oncology? | Expert Patient Care | Comprehensive Diagnostic and Treatment Services | Minimally Invasive Surgery |Team of Specialists | Our Team of Gynecologic Oncologists
The West Clinic’s Center for Gynecologic Oncology is one of the most unique centers managing women with gynecologic cancer in the United States and the only center of its kind in the Mid-South. Our team of 4 gynecologic oncologists provides comprehensive multidisciplinary care for women with diagnosed or suspected gynecologic malignancies, ensuring the best possible quality of life during and following treatment.
Working closely with our referring physicians, we provide exemplary, compassionate, and respectful care, utilizing the latest treatment options in surgery, radiation and chemotherapy. Our team of nurses and physicians are committed to meeting the individual needs of patients and their families in a sensitive and supportive environment.
A Gynecologic Oncologist is a physician specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of women with cancer of the reproductive organs which includes the ovary, endometrium, uterus, cervix, vagina, vulva and gestational trophoblastic disease. Their area of expertise includes the surgical and chemotherapeutic management of gynecologic malignancies. In addition, a close working relationship exists between the gynecologic oncologist and the radiation oncologist in the planning and treatment of patients with radiation therapy. All Gynecologic Oncologists complete an approved, 4-year residency program in Obstetrics and Gynecology which is followed by a 3-4 year clinical fellowship in Gynecologic Oncology. Currently, there are only 32 fellowship training programs approved by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ABOG) in the United States .
The most common gynecologic cancers are ovarian, endometrial, and cervical. Less common forms of gynecologic malignancies include vulvar and vaginal cancer. Some cancer types we treat are:
- Established or suspected ovarian cancer
- Endometrial cancer
- Uterine sarcoma
- Pre-invasive and invasive cervical, vulvar and vaginal cancer.
- Trophoblast/ Placental cancer
- Fallopian tube cancer
- Patients with strong family history for breast and/or ovarian cancer
West Clinic patients have access to the most advanced treatments available anywhere. Our multidisciplinary team provides a full range of diagnostic and treatment services as patients utilize a highly individualized program of care. Patients can easily be referred to one of our specialists for evaluation. Innovative treatment plans are developed in accordance with each patient’s needs. In addition, second opinions and additional consults are easily coordinated for our patients. All of our Gyn Oncologists are on faculty at the University of Tennessee College of Medicine. By combining research, teaching and patient care, we believe we provide the most up to date and comprehensive care.
The West Clinic’s Center for Gynecologic Oncology provides a total integration of services from treatment to support including:
- Consultations: Newly diagnosed and recurrent gynecologic cancers
- Multimodality Treatment: Surgical, chemotherapeutic, and/or radiation therapy
- Individualized Surgical Options: Radical abdominal/pelvic, reconstructive, and laparoscopic minimally invasive surgical procedures for gynecologic cancers
- Fertility-sparing Surgery
- Diagnostic Radiological Services: Interventional Radiology, MRI, PET, CT Scans and Ultrasound
- Colposcopy/ LEEP/Laser Therapy: Treatment of pre-invasive cancer
- Treatment and Screening: for pre-invasive and hereditary cancer in women
- Genetic Counseling: for patients at risk of familial cancers
- On-site Radiology, Chemotherapy, and Pharmacy
- Research Protocols: ACORN and Gynecologic Oncology Group
- Wings Cancer Foundation: Counseling services including support groups, educational seminars on cancer-related topics, nutrition advice, exercise, and many other supportive programs and services free of charge to anyone in the community.
Our extraordinary holistic treatment philosophy embraces treating the patient as a person not just treating the disease. Our team of specialists includes:
- Gynecologic Oncologists
- Diagnostic and Interventional Radiologists
- Nurse Practitioners and Registered Nurses
- Research Nurses
- Social Workers
- Clinical Psychologists
- Certified Genetic Counselors
We are committed to providing the best cancer care available anywhere in the United States . Our team of dedicated physicians can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for patient referrals and consults. Currently, we practice at our Humphreys, Mid-town, Southaven and Corinth , MS offices as well as the Baptist, Methodist, and St. Francis hospitals. Please call us at any time if we can provide additional information or to discuss a patient referral.
East Memphis – Main Office
100 N. Humphreys Blvd.
Memphis , TN 38120
Mid-town – Memphis
1588 Union Avenue
Memphis , TN 38104
7668 Airways Blvd.
Southaven , MS 38671
2001 State Drive, Suite 2C
Corinth, MS 38834